Thursday, June 25, 2009

Downtime

I have been in site for almost 7 months now... wow. And in Peru for 10? That can't be right. Sometimes I feel super-integrated (whatever that means), but other times I feel like I am still just a stranger in another country.

Right now I feel a little stuck. This week I was pretty unproductive with another fiesta (anniversary of one of the colegios), my counterpart being out of town, and outright laziness from my own lack of motivation lately. It's definitely been a down week, but nothing compared to what many volunteers go through. Overall I am very happy; I'm in a great town with internet, some cell phone service, a partial variety of food, and a beautiful view everyday! The rough times for me come from guilt from being here and simply feeling incompetant, unproductive, or outright inutil. Is that an English word or Spanish word? I don't even know anymore.


On a positive note for today, I had a fun session teaching minis (kids from pre-school) a little English. Like I said before, I'm not sure how useful it is for them, but I know I sure have fun hanging out with them and just doing something productive. The kids at that age sure give a lot of love and I can feel it. I think because a lot of times they don't get attention at home. I will also be starting to teach an English class once a week for kids in the institute (ages 17-24). I normally wouln't be inspired to do this and don't see a huge benefit for them, but this group has expressed a big interest, and seemingly a lot of people will come. I'm looking to use it as a group to have some fun, play some games, and give them whatever help they want in learning English. They have a lot of benefits since English is everywhere.

2 comments:

About Ohana Chocolates said...

Hey Rhino,
I just caught myself up on your blog. Everytime I read through what you have been writing I am always more and more amazed with what you are doing and that you have been there for 10 months now! Holy cow, that is crazy. I am so glad to hear that you are happy and loving your experiences. You have the perfect personality for this, especially since you are able to laugh at things that other people probably wouldn't be able to laugh about. I can see how it would be very important to think lightly about some circumstances. So, was college worth it? Have you made that decision yet? :0) On your blog you said that one of your reasons for wanting to do the Peace Corp thing was to find out if you could put all that schooling to use....so what do you think at this point?

Luke and I have been living in Hawaii for almost 4 months now. We live in a cute little house that overlooks Honolulu. We are close to everything, but because we are up on a mountain it feels like we are out of the hustle and bustle of everything. My job is going really well. I work for a company called Hawaii Geophysical Services. I have been doing half field work, half office work. The funny thing is, even though the name of the company is Hawaii Geophysical, Luke and I are actually the first geophysical engineers that the company has ever hired. That said, there is alot to be learned on our side and on the companies side. It is a very small company but has alot of potential, and seemingly the money to grow.

I'm enjoying Hawaii to the utmost. It has been super hot here and dry, but I hear it shouldn't last too long. I'm trying to learn how to swim, but the south swell has been too big for learning for the last month or so. So I have just been practicing my beach bum skills instead.

You probably know this, but there are like tons of triathlons here all the time, so Luke and I have been not so seriously training for triathlons. We were going to do one last weekend. It was a team triathlon and we would be the swimmers. Well about 2 weeks before the tri our runners backed out, so we said okay, thats fine, we will do the swim and run. So about 1 week before the triathlon our bikers backed out....and we don't have bikes, so we couldn't do it....dang it! Oh well, there are a bajiliion more chances for that out here.

Well Rhino, I miss you and please be careful out there. I cringe while reading some of your stories....I can only imagine what your mom feels. :0)

PURA VIDA!
MO

About Ohana Chocolates said...

correction.....did I really write that I am trying to learn how to SWIM? I think you know me better than that. I meant trying to learn how to surf....just to clarify. :0)